Department news 2018-19
CONFERENCES / WORKSHOPS/SEMINARS CONDUCTED
- 25th January, 2019: Prof. T.R. Anantharaman Memorial & Dr. A.M. Chacko Endowment National Seminar at T.B. Ninan Hall.
- T.R. Anantharaman Memorial lecture on “Modified Electrodes – Versatiletools for Chemical and Biosensing”delivered by Dr. Leena R, Assistant Professsor, Department of Applied Chemistry, CUSAT.A.M. Chacko Endowment Lecture delivered on “Advanced Characterization Techniques using X-ray’ for Smart Applications” by Dr. Ditty Dixon,Ramanujan Faculty Facuty(Assistant Professor AcSIR), Photosciences and Photonics Section, Chemical Sciences & Technology , CSIR-Central Electrochemical Research Institute, Karaikkudi
- In association with Department of Higher Secondary Education, Department of Collegiate Education and Samagra Shiksha, Keralam, Chemistry Department of Union Christian College, Aluva along with departments of Physics, Botany and Zoology successfully organized a three day Science Residential Camp named “Sasthrapadham”, in the college campus on 12th January 2019, 13th January 2019 and 14th January 2019. The event was coordinated under the directions of college IQAC. The program brought together over nine speakers and 50 school students participated in the program. The students from 11th standard from different schools of our district attended the program in which they had a wonderful opportunity to learn from eminent personalities and explored the lab sessions. The camp was envisaged to enhance the scientific aptitude of students and to motivate them for pursuing higher studies and career in pure science.
- STATE INSTITUTE OF EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY (SIET) and Kerala Public Education Department together sponsored Science Enrichment Program – SASTHRA JAALAKAM 2018 was hosted by Chemistry Department, Union Christian College and conducted the Science Enrichment Program for High school level Govt /Aided students named “ SASTHRA JAALAKAM “ (ശാസ്ത്ര ജാലകം പദ്ധതി ), a Three Days Residential Camp ( District Level ) campwhich is a Basic Science Awareness Program for the for the 36 elected IX Standard Govt / Aided school students of Ernakulam District on 30th November 2018, 1st December 2018 and 2nd December 2018
- 28th November 2019 : Science Lecture on the topic “Cancer Diagnosis and Treatment Using Radiopharmaceuticals”by Dr.M R A Pillai, Group Director, Molecular Group of Companies
- 18th September 2018: Dr. Soney C George, Dean Research, Amal Jyothi College of Engineering inaugurated the Ozone day celebrations supported by Kerala State Council for Science Technology and Environment and gave a talk on Montreal protocol.
- 27th July, 2018: ONE DAY SEMINAR ON “Exploration to entrepreneurship in Chemical Sciences” jointly organized by Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development Centre (IEDC), Kerala Startup Mission (KSUM) and Department of Chemistry, Union Christian College, Aluva
- K. E. George, Rtd. Professor, Department of Polymer Science, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi-22 delivered a talk on ‘The Art of Communication’.
- Sajith Kumar E. V, Senior Consultant, Kerala Industrial & Technical Consultancy Organization Ltd. Cochin delivered talk on ‘Are you ready to become an entrepreneur?’
- Padmadas P, Director of Akesiss Pharma Pvt. Ltd., Edappally & Megasys Biotek Pvt. Ltd., Kinfra Industries, Koratti delivered a talk on ‘Entrepreneurship: A hands-on experience’
- 12th June 2018: Workshop on “Reuse of Plastic Waste” by Mr. Suraj Abraham from Plan@earth as part of World Environment Day (WED) celebrations jointly organized by Chemistry and Zoology departments of U.C.College, Aluva supported by Kerala State Council for Science Technology and Environment.
- 8th June 2018: Dr. Anu Gopinath, Assistant Professor, Chemical Oceanography, Department of Aquatic Environment Management, KUFOS, has delivered a talk on “Impact of Plastic Pollution on Environment” and Dr. V.S. Vijayan, Chairman, Salim Ali Foundation delivered a talk on “Development, Waste Generation and Environmental Consequences” as part of World Environment Day (WED) celebrations jointly organized by Chemistry and Zoology departments of U.C.College, Aluva supported by Kerala State Council for Science Technology and Environment.
- 2nd March, 2018: Prof. T.R. Anantharaman Memorial & Dr. A.M. Chacko Endowment National Seminar at T.B. Ninan Hall.
T.R. Anantharaman Memorial lecture on “Fluorescence: Simpe but Powerful”delivered by Dr. John Prakash, Assistant Professsor, Department of Chemistry, Central University of Tamil Nadu, Thiruvarur-610 005.
A.M. Chacko Endowment Lecture delivered on “Dye-sensitized ‘Smart Cells’ for Smart Applications” by Dr. Suraj Soman, DST-INSPIRE Facuty(Assistant Professor AcSIR), Photosciences and Photonics Section, Chemical Sciences & Technology , CSIR-NIIST, Thiruvananthapuram Division
Retired Non -Teaching Staff